A healthy diet can help you look and feel great. Don’t follow the latest food fad: find out the truth about eating well. Your body needs energy and nutrients from food to grow and work properly. If you don’t eat a healthy, balanced diet, you could be putting your health and growth at risk.
A healthy diet also gives you the energy you need and can help you look and feel great. But eating well doesn’t have to mean giving up all your favourite foods. A healthy diet means eating a wide range of foods so that you get all the nutrients you need, and eating the right number of calories for how active you are.
Beware of fad diets: they’re rarely the best way to reach a healthy weight.
As each and every one of us have different coloured hair and different sized feet, each of us will have different body weights.
One way to know if your weight is healthy is to check your Body Mass Index (BMI).
To do this you will need to measure your height and your weight.
Great! Make sure you still eat a healthy diet and take plenty of exercise.
You are putting yourself at risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and other health problems.
Think about what you eat:
- Could your food be healthier?
- Are your portions too big?
- Are you snacking between meals?
- Does your diet contain a lot of sugar or fat?
Think about how much activity you do:
- Are you walking enough?
- Are you playing outdoors everyday?
- Do you do any after school sports?
You are putting yourself at great risk of developing health problems such as diabetes and heart disease.
It is really important to lose weight and become fitter to lower your chances. Don’t leave it too late!
Think about what you eat at the moment:
- Are these foods high in sugar or fat?
- How big are your portion sizes?
- Do your meals include lots of vegetables?
- Do you sometimes eat when you are not hungry?
You should start increasing your activity:
- Are you sitting down watching a lot of TV?
- Do you spend lots of time using laptops, tablets, etc?
- Do you use the car/public transport rather than walk?
- Do you exercise for 60 minutes every day?
It would be strongly recommended to get help from a professional or join in a healthy lifestyle programme.